Sunday, April 22, 2012

UPCYCLED VINYL Shabby Glam GLITTER FLOOR

This aint your Grandmama's Kitchen...
                          
O.K You found me out ...I am a glitterholic!!! .....GLITTER is my favorite color! After years of hating my peel and stick vinyl flooring in my kitchen, I decided to upcycle it into a fairytale floor fit for a Princess...oh yeah , that would be me! LOL
As we know ,the floor is one of the most vital components in adding grace to one's surroundings. It cannot be ignored under any circumstances. The element of reflection on the surface makes glittering all the more sought after and significant in the present decor. In fact, that is what makes it ever more enchanting and worth considering.
GLITTER GLITTER GLITTER
It will not be an exaggeration to say that my floor is loaded with so much detail that everyone notices it without fail. Be it any kind of room style , this type of flooring represents you, the very you. 

My upcycled tiles glisten and accentuate the light reflecting off the vintage mirror ceiling and add a illusion of more space to my kitchen. The mirror particles  a.k.a. GLITTER reflect  a warm sparkly  glow off my crystal chandelier providing a stunning effect.  



This technique is perfect for areas that have high moisture such as bathrooms and kitchens and are durable enough to be used in heavy use areas. You can expect an elegant look  for less than $200.00.
Beauty engulfs mankind unlike any other thing.

Transforming one's living or working surroundings easily, quickly, and economically is something everyone cherishes.

For this project I chose disco dust glitter and a white base paint.

5 - 10 oz. jars ,$4.99 each =$25.00 total

Rust-Oleum 7790502 Protective Enamel 1 Quart Flat Oil Base Paint, White
$22.99

The oil-based polyurethane is available in gloss or satin sheens.I chose satin. The smooth, self-leveling formula applies easily . May apply up to 3 coats with allowing 2 hours dry time between coats and 4 to 6 hours on final coat. Approximate coverage 500 to 600 sq. ft. per gallon. Clean brushes and tools with paint thinner or mineral spirits. It was $47.99 at our local Ben Franklin.Make sure to have at least one window open while using this product, it is very smelly. You only need this for a warm amber almost antique color. This product will not be enough of a top coat to seal glitter.I learned that the hard way.It also will not bring out the sparkle in the glitter the way the epoxy coating does.If I were to do this project again, I would save the 50 dollars and skip this step.







I used this to clean the floors .$3.89

I used this to plaster all the seams between the tiles, and also as plaster for the raised stencil later on, cost was around $5.00.



Victorian Baroque Stencil
This is the wall/floor stencil I used for the raised detail  around the decoupaged roses. Hobby Lobby $16.99. I had this stencil already, so I'm not adding this to my cost of project.
******************************************************************


This is my icky vinyl peel and stick tile floor before....


******************************************************************

And Here's after......

No painting all these flowers...I made copies of roses and doilies on my computer using regular copy paper.A regular stencil was used with lightweight spackling to give a raised 3D dimensional effect of old plaster.


Yes this is really my kitchen floor, and yes my ceiling is covered with vintage mirrors. It's my most favorite room in the house.I know people are all into granite, stainless...etc., but this girl has a passion for pink, shiny, lacey things!! I'm never moving, so why not make it the way I want it.My friends all think I'm crazy cause I don't want to go on vacation, but I feel like I'm on vacation at a wonderful bed and breakfast every day...so why leave?

This is where the cat's food and water dishes will go.





I couldn't leave well enough alone,so some swarovski crystal swirls were added for some extra GLAM !!
Somebody STOP ME!!!

After application of the epoxy coating, the dimension and sparkle are there, but the surface is durable and smooth...looks like glass. Clean up will be a snap!!

******************************************************

DIY Instructions for a Glamouous Glitter Floor
Supplies:
* 1 gallon oil porch and floor paint to coordinate with colored glitter
* 1 small container lightweight pre-mixed spackle (optional)
* 2 paint rollers, handle, 2 trays

* 1 bucket and sponge mop for cleaning

* 1 bottle pre- mixed TSP

*6 large containers approx. 10 oz.  glitter

* 1 gallon of oil-based  clear polyurethane varnish(use this only for antique color, as it is not thick enough to coat glitter.It also doesn't make the glitter shine enough. You must use the epoxy coating to get the sparkle!)
* 1 box fan
PLEASE NOTE: The clear garage floor 2 part epoxy finish product that you can get at home depot will give you a crystal clear glass like finish, that will be super durable and make your glitter sparkle .This also makes for a easy cleaning floor, that won't scratch or peel!!! 
$96.00, BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY !!!
Directions:
1. Use the  TSP cleaner to fully clean your floor. Spray it on, scrub, rinse with mop.
2.  let dry.
3. Patch up any holes or ridges with a lightweight spackle and let dry.
4. Pour porch and floor paint into one paint tray, use a brush to paint the edges of the room.
5. Now use one of the rollers to paint a section of the room.

6. This is where you want to lay down anything your going to decoupage onto the floor. I made copies of some doilies, and rose pictures on my computer. No need for fancy paper, regular copy paper works just fine.You can just press lightly onto the paint so it sticks.
7. Throw handfuls of glitter in the air so it lands evenly on the wet paint. I tried a shaker, but it didn't go fast enough for me.
8. Keep working by sections, make sure to cover in between sections  with glitter so it is uniform.
9. Apply as much or little glitter you want.
10. Let dry 24 hours

11. This is the time you want to add any raised detail .I used a stencil and some Spackle for some dimension to each side of my decoupaged roses .This is optional. Let this dry for 2 hours minimum.
12. Open can of varnish, pour in  paint tray and use  roller to apply an even coat. Let dry  2 hours in between coats. Repeat until desired color is achieved.It will give you almost a parchment paper color when applied over white..
13.Now you are ready to apply the epoxy finish that will make that glitter pop!! Mix as directed on the box,and apply with a  paint roller just as you did for the paint and varnish.This is well worth every penny, you won't believe the finish!

14.Let dry at least 10 to 12 hours before walking on it.

                               I LOVE THIS STUFF.











 This is how smooth the finished product is!!




        Time to put my feet up and relax.....